UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Want to get squeaky clean but something's wrong? Go ahead and ask away in here.
100 %
By joni os
For years when encountering a dripping ceramic tap my advise would be," replace the whole tap", as matching the diverse cartridges was problematic. Recently, for the first time, I took a cartridge apart and now realize the importance of the end seal in correctly keeping the ceramics tight and drip free. A box of seals catering for the small number of variations would be a useful addition to carry in the van. If anyone has sourced such a box, please advise.
By Best
Good post Joni. It would be exellent to have a box of spare ceramic seals, but I have only came across some on Internet, and at an extortionate price.
I replace the ceramic works on taps that are otherwise in good condition.
I keep a box of spare works, - including some suitable for usual Franke taps and also Screwfix works which are less than £6 a pair and seem good quality.
By Croppie
I vaguely remember a guy joining our Facebook page who was selling tap kits including a spline gauge. Have a chat with Masood because I think he was also going to approach Williams & Co.
By Best
REDSAW wrote:
September 27th, 2017, 8:51 pm
ptfe paste to stop it dropping off and an 'o' ring placed on the seal tightens it !! ;)
Good idea! I have replaced the white seals that deteriorate, with a heavy O ring occasionally to do as a temporary but hopefully long lasting repair.
Some of the works have a brass washer immediately behind the seal which has a thin O ring that I replace with slightly heavier one in an attempt to tighten the works to stop a tap dripping if I haven't correct works in stock. Does same job I guess
By REDSAW
RPM wrote:
September 28th, 2017, 7:36 pm
http://www.tapmedic.co.uk/

Anybody used them?
hmm!!
seems a reasonable idea, but............
i have a proper old fashioned merchant that stocks dozens of disc valves for about £8 each.
using the other method i described i can fix 80%+ of those i come across.
and i bet that box is upward of £60 whereas i could, if i decided to, stock up on a selection of valves from them ;)
otherwise, just bang in a standard valve :lol:
By YorkshireDave
REDSAW...

At least you're right about the price :)

To buy, when they are available, they will work out at around £15 each when bought as a kit, but to replace they will be much less than (around £11) that as you'll not be replacing everything in the kit each time.

Unlike those the merchants keep (nearly all 20 spline) the kit has 10, 20, 24 & 28 splines. In addition it makes 1/2" cartridges with a seat depth of 21.5-25.5mm and for 3/4" cartridges (try finding them in merchants) it makes cartridges with a seat depth of 23-27mm. Oh, every cartridge is also universal opening both clockwise AND counterclockwise OR turn 360 degrees. TapMedic means a fix on a first visit over 90% of teh time for separate hot and cold cartridges.

As a point of interest, this kit is made in Sheffield not some village in China. Oh and when one eventually wears out, all you have to do is change the o-rings and ceramic disks (£2.50) then charge for a new valve.

How do I know this? Me, a working plumber designed it.

To be completely honest, you will make more money using the kit than you will changing taps :o :o :o
By REDSAW
good lad,
like this bit:
As a point of interest, this kit is made in Sheffield not some village in China. Oh and when one eventually wears out, all you have to do is change the o-rings and ceramic disks (£2.50) then charge for a new valve.
you will make more money using the kit than you will changing taps -hmm i charge £60-80 for that!!
wheres the 16 spline?
got any field trial samples for review? :D
By REDSAW
YorkshireDave wrote:
September 29th, 2017, 9:34 pm
Understand, however one has to generste interest pre-launch these days. Nothing said isn't validated - I simply wouldn't allow it. IMHO there are far too many BS merchants. World doesn't need any more.
i understand, but its my forum ;)

they always do this this happened with my washing […]

Shower Pump

I have a mixer/tap type shower in the bath. It's[…]

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]