UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

For when your troubles just won't soak away, sort out your drainage issues in here.
100 %
By Masood
Justpumps+ wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 8:06 pm
DEFENDER wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 4:39 pm
the slope should not be too steep, this is to ensure all solids slide along the pipe smoothly :)
Thanks for that and from that I guess there is a minimum and maximum angle to take into account when thinking of the run of the pipe then?
There is - for soil, there is a fixed fall of 18mm/m with a maximum length of 6m per branch.
32mm basin wastes need a fall of 18-20mm/m with a maximum length of 1.7m, 40mm bath and shower wastes need 19-90mm/m with a maximum of 3m.

This is for a primary ventilated stack. May be different on other systems but I can't remember them off the top of my head!
By Masood
Justpumps+ wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 8:06 pm
DEFENDER wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 4:39 pm
the slope should not be too steep, this is to ensure all solids slide along the pipe smoothly :)
Thanks for that and from that I guess there is a minimum and maximum angle to take into account when thinking of the run of the pipe then?
There is - for soil, there is a fixed fall of 18mm/m with a maximum length of 6m per branch.
32mm basin wastes need a fall of 18-20mm/m with a maximum length of 1.7m, 40mm bath and shower wastes need 19-90mm/m with a maximum of 3m.

This is for a primary ventilated stack. May be different on other systems but I can't remember them off the top of my head!
By Masood
PS - if you want more details I'll happily dig them out. As Defender pointed out above, the fall must not be too steep, otherwise the liquid waste will runaway, leaving the solids sitting on the bottom of the pipe. It's called a self-cleaning gradient...

Another possible problem is self-siphonage - if the gradient is too steep, the slug of water released when a plug is pulled can gather enough velocity to pull the water out of traps by creating a vacuum behind it.
I've always gone with 1 in 40 for soil and what ever looks right for waste pipes
1" in 40" was what I was taught in college
By Masood
jonnyswamp wrote:
May 1st, 2017, 9:53 am
I've always gone with 1 in 40 for soil and what ever looks right for waste pipes
1" in 40" was what I was taught in college
It's an interesting one Jonny. The City & Guilds / NVQ books all state 18mm/m which I'd around 1:55, but Building Regs Doc H states 1:40 so I guess a fall in that range is going to be OK.
It stuck in my mind (one of the few things that did) but in reality, I've seen all sorts of gradients working fine
i thought it was 18mm per meter !! ;)

then came the sun and sagged the pipes and buggered all calculations up :lol:
By REDSAW
not sure on the pipe but, i know why the slope was on the bridge! ;)
(no insult intended and i still dont really get it :? )
By Davey
Ha ha. Reminds me of the boiler training workshop at Inverness college where you get your OFTEC quals.
The main toilet is directly above the workshop and all the soil pipes drop down vertically through the workshop.
Think it was originally meant to be a store room or something.

Some interesting noises........

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]