UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

For when your troubles just won't soak away, sort out your drainage issues in here.
50 % 50 %
By jonnyswamp
RPM wrote:
June 8th, 2017, 6:21 pm
All macerators can sound noisy so if customer complains put a piece of carpet or underlay underneath and behind it if it touches the wall.
Good advice there
Also, they don't like the plastic toilet duck things that hang over the rim
They handle their design load with ease, just not plastics :o
By RPM
jonnyswamp wrote:
June 8th, 2017, 8:05 pm
RPM wrote:
June 8th, 2017, 6:21 pm
All macerators can sound noisy so if customer complains put a piece of carpet or underlay underneath and behind it if it touches the wall.
Good advice there
Also, they don't like the plastic toilet duck things that hang over the rim
They handle their design load with ease, just not plastics :o
Unfortunately there are more things they don`t like than like hence I always say only fit them as last resort.
By REDSAW
got a call for tomorrow to a waste system that smells. its a basement shower room fitted with a basin and shower in 40mm pipe waste to a sani shower pump.
the total run of pipe to pump is only 2 meters so was wondering where the smell is coming from?
i realise the shower trap seal may be dry but thats right next to the pump 400mm.
is there a chemical you can use to deoderise the pump and pipe as it runs under and behind shower cubicle!
By REDSAW
RPM wrote:
November 6th, 2017, 2:55 pm
Probably to late (only just seen this), diluted thin runny bleach and hot water can work but don`t let customer know or they start pouring bottles of thick bleach down the shower waste, instead supermarket own brand disinfectant is safer as far less chance of causing damage to rubber components.
its a sani shower.
i got some of the descaler (smells like rotten eggs?) poured it down the basin waste and the shower trap.
then pulled off cover to pump and scraped and rinsed that out.
the rubbers looked ok but the one on top of the casing (air admittance) was siliconed on? not sure if the rubber bung belongs to the pump :?
i then filled the casing with the sani descaler and left it.
what i did notice is when the pump pulses with the basin tap on, the shower trap sucks out and you get a puff of stink!!
i'm hoping that gives a result otherwise i will get a small plunger to put over the shower trap.lol
By RPM
ok, it shouldn`t suck the trap out for starters and the pump will react with around 30mm of water in the tank so it sounds like it is ok working wise, the air vent should be open with a cap just resting on the tank lid so remove that rubber bung and silicone and let it breathe. If it still sucks the trap out then guess you need to sort that out. If you plunge a hair ball into the pump then you create another problem. :idea:
By REDSAW
RPM wrote:
November 6th, 2017, 9:18 pm
ok, it shouldn`t suck the trap out for starters and the pump will react with around 30mm of water in the tank so it sounds like it is ok working wise, the air vent should be open with a cap just resting on the tank lid so remove that rubber bung and silicone and let it breathe. If it still sucks the trap out then guess you need to sort that out. If you plunge a hair ball into the pump then you create another problem. :idea:
:shock:
no idea why its pulling as i tried it with the bung off as well !!
it is right next to the trap but on a concertina length of pipe about 800mm loop. cant fit a deeper trap under it either ;) waste flow looks good enough too ????????
By RPM
One other to check if you go back, there is a small rubber hose like an upside down Z that fits between the pump bowl outlet and the NRV which has a tiny 2mm hole in it which must be clear, If you add water and switch the pump on with the lid off you should see a jet of water exit via this hole if not drill a 2-3mm hole at the lowest point of the Z piece you can get too.
By REDSAW
RPM wrote:
November 7th, 2017, 4:21 pm
One other to check if you go back, there is a small rubber hose like an upside down Z that fits between the pump bowl outlet and the NRV which has a tiny 2mm hole in it which must be clear, If you add water and switch the pump on with the lid off you should see a jet of water exit via this hole if not drill a 2-3mm hole at the lowest point of the Z piece you can get too.
Hmm, i ran it with lid off and there was a squirt of water from the corner didnt spot the z bit though!
also, a washing machine trap has been disconnected at the end of the run (and funnily i now realize thats the source of the grey smelly scum as writing lol)
wonder if thats why its now pulling?
pump runs-trap sucks. pump stops then puffs back (a whiff discharges) ;)
By RPM
On reflection change Z for S and the hole is an anti-cavitation thing, tbh it sounds like the pump needed a clean out and is working ok now it can breathe with the bung removed so bearing in mind that no sani sucks water in it has to be do with the pipe work, maybe a plastic bag over and a cable tie over the open ended pipe where the washing machine trap was will sort it?
By REDSAW
RPM wrote:
November 7th, 2017, 8:18 pm
On reflection change Z for S and the hole is an anti-cavitation thing, tbh it sounds like the pump needed a clean out and is working ok now it can breathe with the bung removed so bearing in mind that no sani sucks water in it has to be do with the pipe work, maybe a plastic bag over and a cable tie over the open ended pipe where the washing machine trap was will sort it?
the wm pipe has been disconnected.
will take a vid next time if still a problem.
reports say the stinks gone and i got paid :D

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]