UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
100 %
By Craig0787
Hello, got a call from a customer today who had been tested positive for CO levels in her bloodstream. Cadent have been out, confirmed CO levels present and put a disc in the metre informing them to call an engineer. Not had a situation like this before but on arrival I could clearly see the cooker was in a poor state. Poor flame picture on a couple rings, covered in grease etc. First I removed the disc, tested the gas (no drop) Set my analyser for room co test, set the cooker going, closed the door and went to get some bits out the van. Came back 7 mins into test and CO levels were at 85ppm. Didn't see the point of waiting the full 15 mins as clearly a fail. Informed the customer the cooker was immediately dangerous and that I would need to cap off the supply and issue a warning notice which they was fine with. So I capped the cooker, re tested gas supply filled out notice, gave them their copy and placed a label on the cooker but because this is the first time I've had to condemned an appliance im now wondering if I did anything wrong. Does it seem like I took the appropriate steps? :|
By REDSAW
Yes, you shouldnt have done it !!

unless you have your co test certificate CMDDA1 ?

if it were me i would check other appliances-drop test first, then cut and CAPPED cooker supply.
you will either pass or fail the boiler or fire after.

was there an opening windor door to outside and was the room to size?

i had recognition a few years ago from gas safe and the media for saving a womans life from co poisining :D
By Craig0787
Nope, don't have my CO test cert. Didn't even know it was a thing, had I known I wouldn't have attended the property, might give gas safe a ring in the morning and inform them. Their kitchen was to size and had 2 openable windows. Door lead to the outhouse, so not directly to outside. Only other appliance in the property was a room sealed vokera combi which was also in the kitchen. I performed a co test on the boiler which passed after 15 mins. Feel like I've messed up now, I've only just signed up to my own gas safe 2 days ago too, that's not going to look good when I ring them :(
By REDSAW
Craig0787 wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 12:30 am
Nope, don't have my CO test cert. Didn't even know it was a thing, had I known I wouldn't have attended the property, might give gas safe a ring in the morning and inform them. Their kitchen was to size and had 2 openable windows. Door lead to the outhouse, so not directly to outside. Only other appliance in the property was a room sealed vokera combi which was also in the kitchen. I performed a co test on the boiler which passed after 15 mins. Feel like I've messed up now, I've only just signed up to my own gas safe 2 days ago too, that's not going to look good when I ring them :(
i wouldnt worry none fella.
done it myself once but i think that was before the ticket came out 4-5 years ago?
they say our monitors arnt that accurate lol.
your only possible hitch is that she went to hospital and it may be logged with hse !

they always do this this happened with my washing […]

Shower Pump

I have a mixer/tap type shower in the bath. It's[…]

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]