UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
25 % 75 %
By phouttier
Hi there! My name is Pierre, I am new to this forum. I created an account as I am just starting my career as plumber in freelance and I am struggling to get paid in time, as most of the time, my clients say bank transfer is a hurdle. They usually ask me if I could accept cash or take the credit card, but I don't want to pay any extra fees or carry cash with me. Do you know any other free payment solution? I heard of apps called Banked or Cash on the App Store. Have you tried them before? Can I trust them, or do you know any other easy solutions? Thanks a lot :-)
By REDSAW
depends who your working for!
contracts i just accept BACS transfer
private i take cash Bacs or paypal.
the paypal works well if sent as family or gift and is easily accesible to send into your bank account.

i used to have a card machine with 1.6% charge per transaction but that broke and not bothered replacing it as the other methods work for me.
By phouttier
Thanks a lot for your answers. In the end, I did some researches and did give a try to the Banked app. First feeling is that it's pretty practical, I send a link that I create with the app to my clients, and they can pay me by just clicking on it and go through a quick process. Payment is real time as well, no need to wait for 3 days like BACS to receive the money. The only negative I would think of right now is that I always have to explain to my clients what's exactly this link is about as most of them have never seen this in the past, and this is quite painful. I will post an other update in a few weeks if I have more to share, positive or negative.
By REDSAW
offering alternative like a lift one way to ATM usually solves this quickly.
your jobs done and you want paying by your acceptances, not theirs!
By REDSAW
SimonG wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 6:39 pm
Bank transfer, cheque or cash, in that order.
you still take cheques, not been in a bank for years. although, if i do get one i give it the missus to sort out lol
By SimonG
REDSAW wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 7:27 pm
SimonG wrote:
you still take cheques, not been in a bank for years. although, if i do get one i give it the missus to sort out lol
Not many but mostly from elderly customers.
By REDSAW
SimonG wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 7:44 pm
REDSAW wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 7:27 pm
SimonG wrote:
Not many but mostly from elderly customers.
the old ones try to pay me in rubarb and apples from back garden and the odd cake or scrap in the garage lol

they always do this this happened with my washing […]

Shower Pump

I have a mixer/tap type shower in the bath. It's[…]

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]