UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
100 %
By Best
Sorry to tell you all this, - but if you are a plumber, or in any trade,
then you obviously are uneducated, an education failure, of the lower classes and with only a semi skilled job.
Trust me, this is how we are thought of by a lot of folk.
Anyone else get this?
The words just slip out occasionally in conversations.
Yesterday was one example, - Customer was telling me when he was at primary school the headmaster told his parents, that he showed promise as was clever, but his sister less so and his older brother wasn't clever, never going to get anywhere, so only good for a trade. :roll:
On another occasion a well educated lady customer was commenting on a young relation of mine who didn't seem to be doing well at school, at that time. The lady customer said he could always be a plumber (if no educational skills).
I wonder someone who has a "professional" job, lets say a teacher, if I told them that if their child wasn't clever and didn't do well at exams, they could always be a teacher, - would that be well mannered?
A lot of people too far up their own backsides.

It's not just the hands on work. It's the thought, calculations and skill people don't give a second thought about.

More too it than being a spanner monkey.
By Best
SimonG wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 11:54 pm
A lot of people too far up their own backsides.

It's not just the hands on work. It's the thought, calculations and skill people don't give a second thought about.

More too it than being a spanner monkey.
Trouble with folk like that, they think they are special, gifted, highly intelligent people.
True that some folk are just that, but the irony is the country is full of well paid, often lazy and typically single skilled people who don't realise many of the trades are multi skilled and also intelligent.
The perception is reinforced by those among us who work for a pittance. Doing a charity job for a pensioner is one thing but other works needs appropriate charges, even if it means walking away from a job.
A friend who is a nurse was offered £13/hr to do bank shifts at a hospital trust and refused. She now does the same work ,for the same hospital trust, but through an agency paying her £32/hr.
Don't know what the agency is charging hospital, but I'm sure the HR dept. is full of educated people. Not so sure about common sense.
Lesson: we only get what we ask for and will be treated the way we allow it to happen.
joni os wrote:
February 10th, 2018, 10:46 am
The perception is reinforced by those among us who work for a pittance. Doing a charity job for a pensioner is one thing but other works needs appropriate charges, even if it means walking away from a job.
A friend who is a nurse was offered £13/hr to do bank shifts at a hospital trust and refused. She now does the same work ,for the same hospital trust, but through an agency paying her £32/hr.
Don't know what the agency is charging hospital, but I'm sure the HR dept. is full of educated people. Not so sure about common sense.
Lesson: we only get what we ask for and will be treated the way we allow it to happen.
sister in law did exactly that. jacked the job and worked for agency, less hours more pay hours to suit doing same job.
shes now the ward manager!!
NHS are hemeoraging money because of dumbwit managemet. it needs an audit.. :x

they always do this this happened with my washing […]

Shower Pump

I have a mixer/tap type shower in the bath. It's[…]

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]