UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
33.3 % 66.7 %
By Best
Just a question that has always had me puzzled.
On lever quarter turn deck mixers, - why do the majority of them come from the factory with the cartridges having the lever handles requiring you pull them forward (into the sink) to turn them off?
I always remove and reverse the hot and cold cartridges with agreement of customers to make the lever taps turn off to the left and right, same as hospital taps, with a push away from me.
By Best
REDSAW wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 12:58 pm
its so they fit into corner sinks better and helps the blind.
I never knew or had thought of that!
Still prefer them fitted the other way though.
I guess it is the way the cartridges are made for all mixers - red seal hot cartridge opens clockwise, which is proper way for vertical handles, but seems wrong on horizontal handles
By REDSAW
Best wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 4:42 pm
REDSAW wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 12:58 pm
its so they fit into corner sinks better and helps the blind.
I never knew or had thought of that!
Still prefer them fitted the other way though.
I guess it is the way the cartridges are made for all mixers - red seal hot cartridge opens clockwise, which is proper way for vertical handles, but seems wrong on horizontal handles
you ever put a cold one on the hot because thats the only one in the van? :lol:
By Best
REDSAW wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Yes!!!! I sometimes would do anything to please a customer and get away home.
I did replace a Franke cartridge with the wrong side because I had none left and the customers said they got used to the handle going backwards for a year. :lol:
I finally replaced it to correct one when doing other jobs, as they now rent the house out to tenants
I have fixed a few cartridges out of desperation using a heavy O ring to stop dripping taps.
I bought a lot of ceramic disc cartridges from Screwfix as they are only approx £6 a pair and they do match a lot of taps
By REDSAW
Best wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 1:44 pm
REDSAW wrote:

Yes!!!! I sometimes would do anything to please a customer and get away home.
I did replace a Franke cartridge with the wrong side because I had none left and the customers said they got used to the handle going backwards for a year. :lol:
I finally replaced it to correct one when doing other jobs, as they now rent the house out to tenants
I have fixed a few cartridges out of desperation using a heavy O ring to stop dripping taps.
I bought a lot of ceramic disc cartridges from Screwfix as they are only approx £6 a pair and they do match a lot of taps
thanks for the tip £6 screwfix-
double that at my merchants, although they do stock 100's of types. :D
and you cant beat the o ring lol. i really wants to know which bit causes the drip.
my uncle says he has changed ''the seals'' and thats worked- wont tell me any more though !!!!
By Best
REDSAW wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 10:42 pm
REDSAW wrote:

thanks for the tip £6 screwfix-
double that at my merchants, although they do stock 100's of types. :D
and you cant beat the o ring lol. i really wants to know which bit causes the drip.
my uncle says he has changed ''the seals'' and thats worked- wont tell me any more though !!!!
I think the ceramic works pass water if the rubber seals lose their elasticity or perish - like with the white seal washers.
As you no doubt know, some of the works have a brass washer which holds an O ring which can perish a little.
I notice on mains cold/gravity hot kitchen mixers, that the cold usually is the works that leak first. I assume that could be due to the higher pressure, rather than a microscopic piece of grit in the mains water.
There is at least one Franke sink kitchen mixer that the SF works matches. I discovered that by reading SF reviews on their ceramic works that one Franke tap they matched and it turned out to be correct.
Also fit many other taps
By YorkshireDave
REDSAW wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 10:42 pm
Best wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 1:44 pm
REDSAW wrote:

i really wants to know which bit causes the drip.
Ceramic disc taps 'seal' due to the flatness of the two ceramic discs. Their flaness is actually measured using individual photons of light - that's chuffin flat! The dripping starts when there is no longer a seal between the two plates. This has three causes: 1 - debris in the water getting caught between the plates and cutting a slight grove (just microns deep) 2 - limescale build up on the edges of the discs causing one edge to lift (again just microns) and lastly 3 - just simple face wear.

The end silicone seal is designed so that it only places a finite pressure on the discs. Too much causes them to crack or wear extremely quickly so once they wear a gap appears between them (microns) and they drip. In the last case the typical symptom is 'chattering' when another valve is opened on the same line...

Taps are my thang... :? 8-)
By Best
Still has to be a problem with the compression in some ceramic tap works.
I notice most mixers I come across that are dripping will stop when I push against the tap handle on the faulty side.
Definitely replacing the seal with something (even sometimes a O ring) or replacing the internal O ring can stop the drip.
It would make sense if the works had a rustless spring to ensure the works remained tight sealed

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]