UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
By Mark Wilson
Help Needed!!!

I am a qualified plumber (aged 48!), looking to complete my gas portfolio before sitting my final ACS exam. I currently run my own business in the Tunbridge Wells area, although working for or with someone is certainly something I would be interested in discussing. I am confirming with the college of a change to my course, but I am told I can focus on boilers and water heaters (DNGA3) For this I need 5 installs and 10 services, if there were any plumbers who would be willing to talk to me it would be greatly appreciated.
I hope to hear from you soon!
Many thanks
Mark Wilson
Baycote Plumbing & Heating
07973 801272
By REDSAW
hi mark, thanks for posting.

sadly i am miles from you.
have you tried your local gas guys in the merchants?
if you can get to know some then suggest if you get some jobs in, return the favor by offering them the job on the premise that you can tag along and learn-photos and write up for your portfolio.
its probably the easiest way as engineer gets extra work.
otherwise you may find that they will want paying to train you.
By REDSAW
Mark Wilson wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 1:37 pm
Thanks for the response, shame you are too far away! It's really difficult to find anyone willing to work with you, this is my second career, and I do understand that a learner is a hinderance to someone looking to crack through jobs, so it's a horrible catch 22 situation!
Dont pass what i said as it works.
you need to find one that does the small stuff like servicing, cooker hobs and landlord certs.
get to know some and suggest you have a few customers that you cant do gas for-would you like them?
then work it from there.
By REDSAW
REDSAW wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 4:48 pm
Mark Wilson wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 1:37 pm
Thanks for the response, shame you are too far away! It's really difficult to find anyone willing to work with you, this is my second career, and I do understand that a learner is a hinderance to someone looking to crack through jobs, so it's a horrible catch 22 situation!
Dont pass what i said as it works.
you need to find one that does the small stuff like servicing, cooker hobs and landlord certs.
get to know some and suggest you have a few customers that you cant do gas for-would you like them?
then work it from there.
alternatively apply for a smart meter installer job you get your acs. my nephews got in and he's as thick as fooook £30k a year(£24k 4month training) and van etc.
By REDSAW
Mark Wilson wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 10:01 am
Thanks,
Yes, thought I had one, however, the homeowner decided they were uncomfortable with a learner working on their boiler, regardless of someone with many years experience overseeing the work! Can't win!!!
Appreciate your feedback, I will keep trying this approach too.
dont let one instance put you off, the objective is getting it done, learning then getting paid. sod what they think!
Think like an apprentice rather than a grown up lol.

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]