UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
100 %
By DanCon
Hi, we are in discussions with a builder about getting a cupboard under the stairs put in. It would create a lot more space if we could move the gas meter. I contacted the people who supply our meter and they can’t do anything for months. This doesn’t work for us as we have a new baby coming and need the work doing urgently.

The builder has been out to our property with a plumber who says he can sort it out. We weren’t actually in when he came (can access the cupboard from outside and we’re away) so didn’t get the full picture about how he would do this.

My questions are:

-Is it legal for a plumber with the right qualifications to move a meter?
-If yes, what qualifications would he need?
-What questions should I be asking him? I read something about an ECV needing to be moved by the gas company.

Any thoughts/comments on this really welcome. I’m struggling to find the answers I need online and don’t know much about this.

Thanks Danny.
-
By REDSAW
hi dan,
dodgy ground!
the meter belongs to your gas supplier and the pipework to national grid.
heafty fines are awaiting anyone messing with this and even jail time if ever things go wrong- including for you re-due dilligence!

whoever moves the meter rig needs to be an approved contractor authorised by national grid or gas supplier ie. british gas eon etc not a gas engineer!!!!

gas engineer with a met2 certificate can only remove meter /equiptment & replace susch as a meter maid aka smart meter installer or national grid engineer.

having said this, if just the actual meter needs swinging out the way but the stand pipe, regulator & anaconda stay the same (not your property) then you should be o.k. providing it all meets the regs.
you dont want to be cut off with a £2,500 bill for reinstatement so tread carefully.

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]