UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
100 %
By Craig0787
Hi guys, as mentioned in my introduction. I am going self employed at the end of January. I've already priced a few little jobs which are fine but also got a 4 bed new build to price. The customer only wants a labour price as he's supplying all materials so that makes it a little easier. The house is quite large, with 1 bathroom, 2 ensuite, cloakroom, kitchen and utility. There are around 20 radiators, boiler, thermal store, possibly a water softener, 1 external stack and 2 internal. The system will be fully piped in copper so will take abit longer than doing it in plastic. The job itself isn't an issue as it's nothing I haven't done before but I'm worried about getting my price wrong. What I've done is made a list of all the jobs that need doing and put how long I think it will take me. Added it all up, got to 29 days and times it by a day rate of 200 and got to £5800. I'm submitting my price tomorrow but before I do, how does it look? Pricey, cheap or about right. I'm based in North lincolnshire if that helps so London prices won't apply.
By REDSAW
CHEAP!

i dont do them anymore but last one i did = days estimated +25% @ £240 per day -nottinghamshire.
never under quote as customers job is to get it done cheap, if your happy with that then thats fine otherwise it will be you who wished you wernt there not them.
However things never go to plan and you will have wasted days and loosing out and many other things out of your control.
if customer dont like it offer them someone for £100 a day but warn them you get what you pay for. :D
By Craig0787
Hmm, Nottinghamshire isn't too far from me so pricing should be similar. Adding 25% seems like a lot but I guess a job of this size could easily go over by a week so best to cover myself. Ill add on the extra days and send my quote. If I get it I get it, if not there will be others. Thanks for the reply Red.
By REDSAW
Craig0787 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 12:18 pm
Hmm, Nottinghamshire isn't too far from me so pricing should be similar. Adding 25% seems like a lot but I guess a job of this size could easily go over by a week so best to cover myself. Ill add on the extra days and send my quote. If I get it I get it, if not there will be others. Thanks for the reply Red.
thats the way i roll, if you get it you get it-
you will be happy because theres profit on the job of 25%. any negotiations are taken off that not your wage.
also, customers already scalped profit margin off your materials.

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]