UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Want to get squeaky clean but something's wrong? Go ahead and ask away in here.
100 %
By Gruff
I have a mixer/tap type shower in the bath. It's in a bungalow. Hot water tank. The water pressure isn't brilliant but above the minimum.

The shower wasn't up to much so asked a plumber to install a pump to improve things. It works fine when hot, but reducing the hot for a more tepid shower the flow reduces and the pump starts doing this. See the 12 second YouTube video. :shock:

I need to get them back, but any thoughts about the installation?

https://youtube.com/shorts/4hDhWljQk4A?feature=share
By REDSAW
doesnt look right to me. should have no 90deg elbows and sounds like its trying to pull air!. is the mains tank adequate size to keep up with the flow?
By Gruff
REDSAW wrote:
February 24th, 2024, 9:35 pm
doesnt look right to me. should have no 90deg elbows and sounds like its trying to pull air!. is the mains tank adequate size to keep up with the flow?
Thanks. I've checked the tank in the attic. Its big and was only down an inch or two after 10 minutes running. So I think capacity there is fine.
By Gruff
joni os wrote:
March 1st, 2024, 1:59 am
My eyes might deceive but I don't see cold water connection to pump.
Just two flexi unattached.
With impeller both ends, running one end dry will result in bearing failure.
A dedicated cold water feed should go to pump, in 22 mm, from the same cold water tank in loft that feeds the DHW cylinder
Your eyes do not deceive you and I did wonder about that, I thought it seemed 'unblanced'. I think the connectors on the pump are only 15mm, would 22mm be essential on the cold?
By joni os
Volume of water out of pump can be no more than volume of water entering pump, albeit at a higher pressure, so 22 mm prior to 15 mm flexi is normal manufacturer's spec.
If cold water feed is short and uncomplicated 15 mm may be adequate for a 43 degree shower. (Hot water at 63, cold at 13. ratio hot to cold is 3 : 2) but a temperature control at shower, less limited by availability, is desirable. Flexi at pump essential to accommodate vibration of pump. Pump will suck water through a short flexi, just as we can suck water from a glass with a 8" straw, if straw was 8 foot long effort would be greater.
By Handyman14
Gruff wrote:
February 24th, 2024, 2:34 pm
I have a mixer/tap type shower in the bath. It's in a bungalow. Hot water tank. The water pressure isn't brilliant but above the minimum.

The shower wasn't up to much so asked a plumber to install a pump to improve things. It works fine when hot, but reducing the hot for a more tepid shower the flow reduces and the pump starts doing this. See the 12 second YouTube video. :shock:

I need to get them back, but any thoughts about the installation?

https://youtube.com/shorts/4hDhWljQk4A?feature=share
hey I would maybe seek help from a professional if you arent sure If you do need a good shower pump I got a shower power booster pump the other day it's done wonders for my shower https://plumbhq.uk/products/shower-power-booster-pump
very glad I now registered

You have made some decent points there. I checked […]

very glad I finally registered

You can definitely see your expertise in the work […]

very glad I at last registered

Have you ever considered creating an e-book or gue[…]

Great post. I was checking constantly this weblog […]