UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

For when your troubles just won't soak away, sort out your drainage issues in here.
100 %
By pm141088
Good evening everyone.

I'm new to the forum and hoping I can get people's opinions on some recent work which was carried out on a broken clay waste pipe.

We have an internal soil stack in our kitchen (aren't we lucky!) which feeds into a clay waste pipe. We recently noticed the clay pipe had a massive crack which spiraled all the way around the pipe and was in fact weeping (not exactly hygienic in a kitchen). Our home emergency cover was invoked and a contracting company came out who effectively lined the clay sewer pipe all the way to the external manhole.

During the implementation of the lining, the clay pipe popped and fell apart leaving behind the fiberglass lining which is now completely exposed and looking rather vulnerable. We were told to be very careful that the lining isn't disturbed in any way as any issue to the lining would mean excavation would be required to replace the clay pipe with plastic.

A few questions if I may:

1. Were the contracting company right to go ahead with a repair i.e. pipe lining or should they have dug out the clay pipe and replaced it with a new plastic pipe?
2. Do clay pipes typically pop during the lining process?
3. Does anybody know how durable these linings are?

Appreciate any advice or comments on this matter.

Cheers,
Pat.
Attachments
Before.jpg
Before repair work
Before.jpg (74.77KiB)Viewed 17979 times
After.jpeg
After repair work
After.jpeg (157.11KiB)Viewed 17979 times
By REDSAW
Hi,
not my forte' but: they did not solve the problem paid for? - get them back.
otherwise, i would contact your insurance company for cover.
wouldnt take much taking that concrete up by the looks of it and new elbow to otherside of wall. However, i would be more concerned about the decaying water pipes being eaten by the lime in the concrete surrounding them!
By joni os
I would be cutting the waste pipe flush with floor level and using a similar push fit connection, as existing, extend plastic pipework to connect at floor level, with a slip coupling to join new and existing plastic pipes.
Fibreglass lining is an appropriate repair for below ground pipework when adequately supported and not subject to heavy loading but without external support longevity could be compromised. Apart from aesthetic consideration.
By MZRDrainage
1. Were the contracting company right to go ahead with a repair i.e. pipe lining or should they have dug out the clay pipe and replaced it with a new plastic pipe? Yes the contractor was correct to line it however, it would have been better to cut the clay pipe above ground and remove the white pan connector and the extend the svp down to the clay a join the clay to plastic with a band seal ac4000

2. Do clay pipes typically pop during the lining process? if it above ground it will almost certainly, as when localized lining you are putting pressure on the sides of the pipe in order to get a smooth liner / patch

3. Does anybody know how durable these linings are? we offer a 15 year guarantee on liners/ patch's they are very durable indeed, they are recognized and approved by our standards which is WRC standards

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]