UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Put your Central Heating System question in here.
100 %
By jonnyswamp
So what is the design life span of a modern erp rated central heating pump
5 yrs seems to be the average for other electrical stuff (white goods etc)
I'm still taking out original 30/40 yr old grundfos that are purring like kittens (and the odd SMC/Myson)
I spose it's good for us as we get to change them more regularly
Not so good for the customer, especially as the pump prices have virtually doubled
By Best
Mr KJ wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 11:19 am
I can still get the old pumps.
50 inc vat.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
What brand are they? I would prefer to be able to buy the old types, but in a good brand, - Grundfoss, Wilo, etc, or even Myson.
Why I ask is because there are a lot of B rated cheap pumps that are clones of old Grundfoss and they seem to give bother, noisy, or failing to pump properly. Tuscan, Polaris, are a couple of examples. When I see something cloned, I assume it is from the East.
There are B rated Halm pumps (German firm) here for just over £50 inc vat. Seem so far quiet and reliable.
My concern with any pump that is energy efficient - A or B rated, is any electronics in them will probably fail. Wilo had a B rated Smart pump (no longer available) and I found some failing after only 3 or so years due to the pcb in them, which is well hidden in a double compartment just below the wiring connection.
By Best
Mr KJ wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 3:40 pm
I cant remember the brand. I will check and let you know.
They are a grunny lookalike though.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
If they are near identical to the old Grundfoss, including the speed switch and have bright metal bolts on the head, then could be same pumps as available here. The port holes usually came sealed with a sticker also.
I was able to get some for under £40 but I avoid them as I came across a few that others had installed and they seemed to be barely working.
By jonnyswamp
I bought a few of those as well, slightly different colour to Grundfos, but clearly a rip off copy
Sounded like a bucket of spanners getting chucked down stairs
By Best
jonnyswamp wrote:
May 1st, 2017, 9:42 am
I bought a few of those as well, slightly different colour to Grundfos, but clearly a rip off copy
Sounded like a bucket of spanners getting chucked down stairs
Yes, when I see a near exact copy of something, I assume it is made outside Europe, probably in Far East.
Always suspicious when no paperwork comes in box, or no manufacturer name and country of origin. Just is a few words about spec on outside of box.
Some of them do make a knocking noise. They can regularly be faulty with pumping ability and only heat one area of a system - say the upper floor of a house, but not the ground floor. I bet some are not fully doing their job and the customers don't realise. Tuscan branded pumps did come with paperwork and a 2 year warranty though.
They can be bought extremely cheap, - especially in 7 and 8 metre head. I think I got an 8m for under £90 for a relative.
As I mentioned on earlier reply, German company, Halm, do a 6m, B rated pump costing just over £50 and it so far seems very good

they always do this this happened with my washing […]

Shower Pump

I have a mixer/tap type shower in the bath. It's[…]

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]