UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Put your Central Heating System question in here.
100 %
By Best
I am not Gas Safe qualified, but noticed a while back at a nursing home a couple of gas flues through outside wall. Holes in wall are very open and clearly never been filled and one flue was pluming, so definitely in use. Looks a botch tbh.
This is on full view to parking area.
Surely this would mean the boilers are not serviced?
Should I report this to Gas Safe as flue gases could enter cavity wall?
By Croppie
You could but they'll do nowt unless the owner reports it.

Which home and where is this, G?
By Best
Davey wrote:
September 4th, 2017, 8:01 pm
Why not drop a note to the home manager. They might be totally unaware.
That might be the more gentlemanly way to approach it.
To give the management the excuse of ignorance of gas installs is fine, but not impressed that it has been left like that and no doubt service engineers haven't bothered.
I hope to take a final look at it
By Last Plumber
It bugs me !
When I price a job, I think of all that the job entails and allow for the time it will take to do it correctly.
Then you lose out to some plant pot who can't be bothered with attention to detail.
The trouble is, they get away with it because the owner of the property has no clue or isn't interested.
Yes they should be reported. I would not hold my breath about anything being done though. If it was me, I would discuss it with the owner of the property and offer to seal it. You never know, you may gain another customer.
By joni os
If flue exited through roof rather than wall, few roofers would quibble about closing the gap,hopefully, against correct flashing and storm collar. However, in this situation the "botch" could be indicative of other problems, insecure fixings and poorly formed joints. Your caution is well placed. Should future problems arise, the last person who touched the flue will be the one who receives the dose of excrement. It would be informative to receive a definitive answer from Gas Safe. The moot point being is it work to the flue or work to the wall. ( Echos of shipyard disputes between boilermakers and shipwrights come to mind.)

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]