UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Put your Central Heating System question in here.
By Best
To be frank, I would never want to remove an oil boiler from a garage to outdoors.
Garages keep the boiler and most importantly the burner away from damp air. I always notice garaged boilers are in better condition. Much easier to service also.
But if your boiler in garage has long runs of pipe and massive heat loss - like if not well insulated and ducted between a separate garage and house, then a boiler house close beside your home would save fuel. Although you could replace such pipework properly.
With a garage linked to house, I would say it is ideal place for oil boiler and really doesn't take much space up, does it?
I like Grant Vortex oil boilers. Very efficient and well made. The outdoor module is neat sized, but not pretty as it is galvanised steel. Grant 50/90 is bigger than the 50/70, so go for the bigger boiler as it is superior if those outputs are in your range for your home.
Better they are on top of a raised concrete base. Hate Combi oil boilers of any make, so avoid.
A purpose built boiler house to match your home would look better and could be built plenty big, but won't be better insulated.
If you do relocate boiler, you have to consider flue termination regs and oil tank distance from terminal, plus remote firevalve to install and condense pipe discharge possibilities.
By Davey
Thanks for the reply Best.
Must admit I was in two minds because, as you say, its a pleasure to work on the boiler because its in ideal surroundings.
I've re-lagged the pipes so losses are minimal and any losses that do occur help to keep the chill off my garage.
The garage adjoins the house and has a purpose built 5' x 5' boiler room taking up one corner. It's this 'boiler room' that's taking up the space, rather than the boiler itself.
Its an open flue boiler at the moment, which probably explains the boiler room.
Think I might leave the boiler located where it is, remove the 'boiler room' walls and install a balanced flue boiler.
I'll have to dig out my books and check what the regs say.....
By Best
Conventional flue oil boiler in garage would still be permissible, providing adequate ventilation for it.
Balanced flue however is recommended in a garage for safety and proper running. No ventilation needed then for b/flued.
Just then usual regs on flues and termination distances plus remote firevalve etc
Flue going through garage roof is sometimes best so that pluming is higher, if that is possible and neater choice.
Last edited by Best on September 17th, 2017, 3:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Best
I should clarify that when I mentioned the 50/70 Grant boiler is physically smaller than the 70/90, - that only applies to the white cased boilers. The boiler house cased Grants are same sized in the cheaper Euroflame models and only begin in a 50/90 model in the Vortex boiler house models, I believe.

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]