UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
100 %
By David
Hi, I have a radiator upstairs not working, I took it off and flushed it out in the garden till clean water came out, before I put it back I checked valves. The lock sheild side there is no water coming out and the Trv works on temperature, I think. So I used a wet/dry hoover to suck air lock out, but this never worked. I thought maybe the lock sheild was at fault so I started to drain the system and I noticed there was water coming out of it, put everything back and turned central heating back on .. no joy and no water coming out of lock sheild, any advice?
By REDSAW
slacken off small nut in top of lock shield and re pack it with some ptfe tape then tighten down, might need to do it a couple of times.
when flushing out a rad we leave the valves on wide open, turn rad upside down and belt it with a rubber mallet severall times over all over. take of valves and bleed screw then do it again.
lock shields are only a couple of quid so best change them for best practice if there old any way!

your Trv has knacked and the fluid is depleted. unscrew the top off and see if rad works this will replicate wide open stat with full flow, if not then its the lockshield or sludged up rad ports. you can just swap the head for new one with the right lock ring size.
other wise- turn off all other rads on that floor and leave the smallest rad on elsewhere, this will push any blockage through system, if boiler makes to much strain-noise then take off rad and check it and the valves are working again :D
By REDSAW
yes, supposing you have drained out water to a level below the rad tails. hard to give proper advice without seeing it.
do it methodically with a try beneath rad valve to catch any water then have new valve ready to slip on in the off position :)
By REDSAW
when you took off the rad did you jet out the bleed pin? when you bled rad did any air come out, has the bleed hole been freed off from blockage?
if heat is felt on the feed pipes to valve one side, then the valves are not working- theres air in the rad or the return pipe is blocked. failing all that then the rad is starved by other rads for heat flow. turn others off or down to low.

is it microbore??????
By David
Yes did all that .Before I took rad off I even connected hose to bleed valve and flushed out ,lowered other radiator down so heat would hopefully go to this rad,still no joy . May be if I get a cleaner to unblock pipe if any ,may be that could work .Fed up with it at the moment Thanks for reply .Certainly is a mistery? Working fine last year.
By REDSAW
Craig0787 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Hi David, it may as mentioned above be a faulty lockshied valve or the pipe feeding the lockshied could be blocked. Is the radiator fed by 8/10mm pipes or 15mm pipes?
one way TRV ?
By Craig0787
REDSAW wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 9:13 pm
Craig0787 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Hi David, it may as mentioned above be a faulty lockshied valve or the pipe feeding the lockshied could be blocked. Is the radiator fed by 8/10mm pipes or 15mm pipes?
one way TRV ?
Could be but he said it worked fine last year and going back to him saying no water came out the lockshied (which has now being changed) I can only assume blockage of some kind.
By REDSAW
going to be one of those jobs that would take me less than 30 mins to figure- if i was there lol.

take rad back off, connect hose to valve then open valve with hose in bucket or out window obviously! do that both sides and all will tell where problem lies.

you still need to answer what system and pipe bore its on, makes a diffrence?????
By David
Just tryed it before lots of air coming out ,water moving about inside Tvr side gets red hot sometimes lock sheild side cold ,then Tvr side goes warm then hot again still air coming out takes ages for water to come out or nothing at all of bleed valve .The side of the tvr that gets hot inside rad but not all of it ,then goes cold off and on.... weird ? . The cleaner you mentioned goes in the top of rad ? Bleed valve
By REDSAW
David wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 2:39 pm
Just tryed it before lots of air coming out ,water moving about inside Tvr side gets red hot sometimes lock sheild side cold ,then Tvr side goes warm then hot again still air coming out takes ages for water to come out or nothing at all of bleed valve .The side of the tvr that gets hot inside rad but not all of it ,then goes cold off and on.... weird ? . The cleaner you mentioned goes in the top of rad ? Bleed valve
anywhere you can get it into system!
now you have something flowing it may now work. is the lockshield fully open?
sounds like there is an air lock, jamb off completely all other rads and try agian bleeding all time for an hour with stat on 30 deg + also take off that TRV head & check there is water available in the header tank
https://www.toolstation.com/central-hea ... gKo__D_BwE
By David
Hi back again tried that turned all other radiators off left the one on ( with pump left on) went up to rad ,release bleed valve ... nothing.. waited no sound no heat both sides give good time for something to happen nothing. So turn rads back on went back to radiator bleed valve air coming out .The water sounded like it was going in the two sides hot tvr hot lock sheild. But the air never stopped coming out ,waited and waited for it to finish for water so I could tighten bleed valve. . air . Got cleaner you mentioned sounds easy enough to do .How long does it take for any signs about .THANKS again
By REDSAW
David wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:55 am
Hi back again tried that turned all other radiators off left the one on ( with pump left on) went up to rad ,release bleed valve ... nothing.. waited no sound no heat both sides give good time for something to happen nothing. So turn rads back on went back to radiator bleed valve air coming out .The water sounded like it was going in the two sides hot tvr hot lock sheild. But the air never stopped coming out ,waited and waited for it to finish for water so I could tighten bleed valve. . air . Got cleaner you mentioned sounds easy enough to do .How long does it take for any signs about .THANKS again
start a day or two and improves over a week. you just leave it in.

does your rad pipe go up into loft? as it sounds like theres a big air lock in the pipe!
i would just keep doing what you have done until no more air comes out as thats being replaced by water.
what happens is water pulls water to make a cicuit if theres no pressure but water flows.

BTW, a good tip to try is undo bleed nipple and put wet vac over it to draw the water.
By David
Thanks I have done something similar when I first started, before I took off rad.I put a connection to bleed valve with hose to draw water 2 big buckets of water ,put it back did not work done it again 5 big buckets of water still did not work .I have also put wet /dry when rad was off to valve, that did not work .. . The pipes go down stairs not from loft ..Can this cleaner go in when central heating is on ?
By REDSAW
David wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 2:09 pm
Thanks I have done something similar when I first started, before I took off rad.I put a connection to bleed valve with hose to draw water 2 big buckets of water ,put it back did not work done it again 5 big buckets of water still did not work .I have also put wet /dry when rad was off to valve, that did not work .. . The pipes go down stairs not from loft ..Can this cleaner go in when central heating is on ?
chemical can go in any time, best make sure you dont drain it out though.
i presume you had both valves open when you sucked it out into the bucket?
By David
Well at that time I left both valves on ,just thought if I do this before I do anything I would try this first .Heating was on and I didn't think it was going to be a big deal .... So wrong. I'll give this cleaner a go and give it time see if there is any change .. Thanks will let you know in a week or so.. thanks for all your help
By David
Hi its Dave again putting cleaner in fed tank ...did not work back to where I started . I have another problem with a radiator down stairs I had to renew bleed valve a while ago because would not tighten up so I put a solution can't remember what it was called but it worked ,but now with the trouble I have had with turning them off and on ,the bleed valve wont tighten up .I have renewed it as well thinking the thread had gone on it but the new one is the same,tried this plumbing silicone around thred never worked Thanks
By REDSAW
think you need a decent heating eng David ;)
some jobs take little time when seen and a good idea of whats going on in real time.

have you tried @joni os -idea with the garden hose? i always revert to that if it a stubuorn blockage- failing that then its head scratching time.

they always do this this happened with my washing […]

Shower Pump

I have a mixer/tap type shower in the bath. It's[…]

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]