UK Plumber Forum 

A place of resource for Plumbers and Gas Engineers in the UK.

Ask your general plumbing questions here. Please have a quick check to make sure it wouldn't fit in any other category.
By HG10
Hi Everyone,

So I decided to fix a dripping tap and change the cartridges.. The trouble I had trying to take them out was nothing compared to what was next.

Long story short the cold side tap handle has some components of the cartridge stuck in it, I have tried every method I could think of but it does not come out, along with the white piece as shown.

WD40
Vinegar
Put a screw and tried pulling it
Hammer

Nothing has worked can anyone suggest what to do :( and also tell me the name of that white piece..
This tap has no brand name on it I really don't know what to do. I don't know what type handle you call these but I can't find them either.
Screenshot_20200528-012009_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200528-012009_Gallery.jpg (316.45KiB)Viewed 7034 times
Screenshot_20200528-012017_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200528-012017_Gallery.jpg (247.77KiB)Viewed 7034 times
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by HG10 on May 28th, 2020, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
By REDSAW
usually heat it up with the blow lamp and try to knock or pull it out when its hot. failing that, drill the brass out then the nylon. Did you take the grub screw out before removing? pics not that clear on what the other valve is like for reference.
As Simon says, these chinesium 'designer taps' are there to fool the public and are generally not that well made compared to british taps like Deva, Britan etc thats why many plumbers tell the customer- if i can get it off & find the parts=otherwise new taps!

The valves will be also pricy if you can match them compared to say Bristan who will send free replacements for 10 years.

The tap you have there comes from the Ixis sink range supplied with that sink i believe? the tap model is an Abode Linear Flair Chrome Twin Lever Kitchen Sink Mixer Tap AT1220 8-)
By HG10
Mine is little different especially where the water comes out from its a rectangular shape, do you think it would be possible to get a replacement handle.
Inside one of the handles it says R2 thinking it could be a brand name but nothing has come up..

If I buy new taps could I use the same hoses.
20200528_134842_9122.jpg
20200528_134842_9122.jpg (112.75KiB)Viewed 7020 times
By HG10
REDSAW wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 1:02 pm
usually heat it up with the blow lamp and try to knock or pull it out when its hot. failing that, drill the brass out then the nylon. Did you take the grub screw out before removing? pics not that clear on what the other valve is like for reference.
As Simon says, these chinesium 'designer taps' are there to fool the public and are generally not that well made compared to british taps like Deva, Britan etc thats why many plumbers tell the customer- if i can get it off & find the parts=otherwise new taps!

The valves will be also pricy if you can match them compared to say Bristan who will send free replacements for 10 years.

The tap you have there comes from the Ixis sink range supplied with that sink i believe? the tap model is an Abode Linear Flair Chrome Twin Lever Kitchen Sink Mixer Tap AT1220 8-)
Any recommendations for a tap that could fit granite worktop :)
By REDSAW
Zero chance of a new handle unless from a used unit.
Your tap maybe a copy tap from Adobe! one designer and one manufacturer all get chinesiumified copies made with slight alterations eventually passing off as the genuine thing when they get popular. This one is a classic example of an Italian design tap- https://www.toolstation.com/ladram-mono ... tap/p38842 now with 100's of copies. The origional price was £140 a quick search will amaze you based on this info!

All taps come with new tails and should be fitted with the tap as they wil be new and old hoses are prone to failure & if not that not all hoses are the same fitting to the taps. I could most probably sort it out as i've been doing them for 40 years :D its just about methods and the right tools at hand which are basic tools. putting the screw in there and heating it up then pulling it with something like a claw hammer will move it as it will expand the white and release the pressure preventing it coming out.

All kitchen taps-single hole, can be fitted to 40mm worktops but you will need to check the hole diameter to confirm. Easy to fit with right tools, hardest thing is accesability. ;)
By REDSAW
BTW
i think the r2 means- right hand 2 handle
so wont get far with that.
a good tap has its name on the back of the block
By HG10
REDSAW wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Right a little update..

Drilled the stuck part of old cartridge once that was done, I was faced with more issues :cry:. The crew that goes on top of cartridge was stuck under the white piece which I managed to find out is called 'Cartridge Spline Adapter' that piece was glued in by someone!! So had to break it to take it out, its useless now.. My cartridge has 28 teeth. I'm trying to find a replacement let's see how that goes.

Today I went and bought new cartridges by showing old ones the person told me I have an old version and new ones look like (see image) and now that does not fit. My old tap is doing everything it can to make sure it makes a hole in my pocket for a new one!
20200528_182654.jpg
20200528_182654.jpg (133.67KiB)Viewed 7007 times
20200528_182747.jpg
20200528_182747.jpg (146.98KiB)Viewed 7007 times
20200528_182807.jpg
20200528_182807.jpg (151.13KiB)Viewed 7007 times
By REDSAW
Thats where the problem was. the spline bush had worn out causing the handle to spin and not turn valve effectively so they glued-bodged it in place. So now if you dont want to get a new tap, you will have to do the same.
Now you see why a plumber wouldnt mess- think of the hourly rate :lol:
you could try and make one with a glue gun and fill in the socket then insert valve or use tap washers that fit slightly bigger than the void with a metal washer on the top then shove it on !

or just give up and buy one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modern-Chrom ... Swh~xdsXtp
By SimonG
As Redsaw said.

Multiply the hours you've chased around by a decent hourly rate. Not cost effective for a plumber to do it. People wouldn't want a 200 quid bill for a couple of cartridges changed.

Simple rule for me now is, is the make known, no, new tap.
By HG10
That looks like a good replacement, but after what you said about the poor quality ones I'm a bit reluctant and was looking for a branded one (https://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-divine ... rome/76769

Do I need to look for specific measurements or will all monobloc fits. The size shown on my pic is 50mm
Screenshot_20200528-192755_Gallery_3071.jpg
Screenshot_20200528-192755_Gallery_3071.jpg (42.93KiB)Viewed 7002 times
By HG10
SimonG wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 7:38 pm
As Redsaw said.

Multiply the hours you've chased around by a decent hourly rate. Not cost effective for a plumber to do it. People wouldn't want a 200 quid bill for a couple of cartridges changed.

Blimey! I've been doing this for 2 days hahahah
By REDSAW
HG10 wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 8:12 pm
SimonG wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 7:38 pm
As Redsaw said.

Blimey! I've been doing this for 2 days hahahah
KEERCHING lol as simon says, its a pain sometimes a waste of time v value. i cap mine at 2 hours or fit new tap= same time 2 hr labour- to many foriegn variants.
That tap is ok if thats the budget i have fitted a few and the parts are available screwfix even haave some valves to fit for a fiver so best take a couple for later.
The swan neck is a bit tinny though, like a 22mm copper pipe & you need to be careful with the cleaning of the chrome!
they should all fit, if not just take it back :D

Replacing leaking valve is preferred option but if[…]

Shower Pump

Volume of water out of pump can be no more than vo[…]

A coy way to ramp up the bill catching out those w[…]

Gravity or mains fed shower?

Thanks Redsaw but this is a pumped electric sh[…]